Are you worried about going to jail? Contact us now to discuss your case
Is there a defence to your charge? Contact us now to discuss your case
Are you concerned about exposure? Your reputation is our priority


Send Enquiry:

Enter captch below:

Having a conviction recorded against your name can create great difficulties in a person’s life. Many employers today require prospective employees to provide a police clearance (both federal and state) as part of the application process for a job. A police clearance showing prior convictions can have a detrimental and prejudicial affect because the conviction, in many cases, is likely to jeopardize a person’s chances of attaining employment. Convictions can also affect the ability of a person to travel to certain destinations. The U.S and Canada for example are notoriously strict on allowing individuals who have a criminal record entry into their country.

However if your conviction is spent then generally you are not legally obliged to disclose to anyone the past conviction or any information relating to it. The issue of a person’s criminal record and the disclosure of it is only relevant to convictions which are current and have not been spent.

The law in Western Australia allows for an individual to apply to the Commissioner of police to have a conviction which follows a ten year offence free period. However for serious convictions that were recorded in respect of an offence dealt with in the District Court or Supreme Court any application to have the conviction spent must be made to the court itself.

The law in Western Australia also provides a regime where an application can be made to the court for a conviction to be spent immediately after sentencing. Under these circumstances the offence is not recorded as a conviction. Under the Sentencing Act WA, a court sentencing an offender is not to make a spent conviction order unless –

(a) It considers that the offender is unlikely to commit such an offence again and having regard to –

(i) the fact that the offence is trivial or

(ii) the previous good character of the offender…the court considers the offender should be relieved immediately of the adverse effect that the conviction might have on the offender.


Generally these applications are made in respect of offences dealt with in the Magistrates Court. Most convictions that are disposed of in the Magistrates Court have the potential to be ordered spent by the court. However there are some instances where the applicant is precluded from having their conviction declared spent. These types of convictions might include:

  • convictions for which imprisonment (to be suspended or served immediately) was ordered,
  • convictions for which an Intensive Supervision Order was imposed,
  • convictions imposed against corporate entities,
  • convictions for offences which are considered too serious.

If you have been charged with an offence it is important to seek competent legal advice and representation to guide you through the court process, negotiate with the law enforcement authorities and achieve the best possible outcome. My office has a vast experience making spent conviction applications to the court having handled countless similar type matters. If you are in need of advice and representation in making an application for a spent conviction to the court call my office without delay. We will assist you to arrange and present to the court all the relevant documentation necessary to assist in the application process.